I like messing around with nearly anything that’s tech related, I’ve done a bunch of things ranging from programming software to hacking hardware, creating 3D models, game development, networking, etc. I could list all the things I’ve tried but most were just introductory stuff in order to get the basics.
The things where I think I’m doing my best would be general automation and problem solving since these things can be applied to any kind of software, programming language or whatever else.
What I use
Anything that I consider to be good for the job!? For the moment these are the things I feel most comfortable using:
- Linux - Because fuck Windows as a server OS, and MacOS has no parity (hello
grep) and simply IS a dumbed-down, locked OS that is trying to stop you from actually being productive (what is window management? proper side buttons on a mouse? what’s that)
- Ansible - For provisioning servers and configuration management
- Docker - Anytime I need to run something quickly and I don’t want to install system packages just to run one thing
- Kubernetes - For running things at scale, especially when there are a lot of apps that need to communicate with each other
- Borgmatic - When I need to automate backups, runs
borgunder the hood but it’s much easier to manage and has a lot of integrations
- Healthchecks - Whenever I need to make sure scheduled jobs run on time
- Prometheus, Grafana - Metrics monitoring stack, paired with Alertmanager